Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Bromance!?

That's what the tabloids are calling it. I prefer to call it a tragedy of immense proportions.

Dave
Grohl and Paul McCartney collaborated at the Grammy's; where Grohl drummed for Paul, who sang,"I Saw Her Standing There". Obviously I have many gripes with the collaboration. Let me clear the air first, by saying that I love the both of them. They are legendary and are geniuses at what they do. Thus, I had very high expectations for the collaboration.

Individually, they are
magnificent, but together they were appalling! I felt that it was an odd clash and that their styles were too different to compliment one another. Of all the Beatles songs, why that song!? Why not something later or even remotely impact-ful. It felt like a revival item; like some homage was being paid to the band. Bad song choice. McCartney was flawless, though, even managing to do the "ooooh" bits.

Dave, oh Dave, I know Paul's one of your heroes, and you looked like a school kid (grinning and all) whilst playing but really... the song wasn't rock enough for you and you were definitely limited by it and you couldn't fully show off how freaking awesome you are. Plus, you looked real stiff and awkward. Performance pressure? Your timing was impeccable, though.

Tragic, really. Such a promising collaboration and that was the best that they could come up with?!

I can't believe I stayed up just to watch that. I am terribly disappointed.

0 comments: